Sabeel Wave of Prayer
10th of January 2019
10th of January 2019
Friday, the 4th of January the ‘Great March of Return’ continued in Gaza leaving over 20 Palestinians injured by Israeli fire.
· Lord, we continue to pray for an end to the Israeli military occupation, the implementation of the right of return of Palestinian refugees and for true peace to become a reality in our troubled land. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayers
The world welcomes a new year this week.
• Lord, help us to trust in you as we step out into this year, knowing that you are our true light and hope. If we become fearful or downhearted, let us turn to your word to quieten our hearts and to give light to our path ahead. Lord, in your mercy...Hear our prayers
As Christmas celebrations for many are ending, we think of worshippers in some Orthodox and Coptic churches who celebrate Christmas on the 7th of January. We also enter the season of Epiphany when we remember the wise men who came to worship Jesus and brought him gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.
• Help us, Lord Jesus, to keep our eyes fixed on you each day, not only during seasonal celebrations. Let us worship you with open hearts, so that you may ‘dwell in our hearts through faith, that we may know the love of Christ and be filled with all the fullness of God’ (Eph 3:17) Lord, in your mercy....Hear our prayers
Israel’s Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan has announced plans to worsen conditions for Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails, including rationing water supplies and reducing the number of family visits. The number of Palestinians in Israeli prisons has now reached 5,500, including 230 children and 54 women.
• We praise you, Lord, that you are a God of mercy and compassion. We bring the plight of the Palestinian prisoners before you and pray that plans to aggravate their sufferings will be defeated. Lord, in your mercy...Hear our prayers
The Palestinian Football Team is taking part in the 2019 Asia Cup in the United Arab Emirates from the 5th of January until the 1st of February. This event takes place once every four years and is organized by the Asian Football Confederation.
• Lord, we are thankful that Palestinian footballers have the opportunity to travel and compete against other teams in an international competition. We thank you for their physical skills and desire to compete with other sportsmen. Lord, in your mercy... Hear our prayers
This week’s Kumi Action focuses on the work of the Al Mezan Center for Human Rights, an independent human rights organisation in Gaza. Al Mezan believes Israel should lift the restrictions of movement of people from Gaza, especially those with critical health problems. In 2017 the Israeli authorities only approved permits for medical appointments for 54% of those who applied, the lowest rate since 2008.
• Lord, we pray for the work of Al Mezan as they seek to help those who are suffering and in need. We pray for an end to the blockade of Gaza and the dreadful toll it is taking on the health and well-being of the people who live there. Lord, in your mercy... Hear our prayers
Several Jewish Settler teenagers have been arrested in connection with the fatal stoning of a Palestinian woman in the West Bank. Aisha Rabi, was the mother of nine children.
· Lord, we pray for the family of Aisha who was murdered in cold blood. We have only faith in your spirit to comfort her husband and children as they grieve for their mother and wife. Lord in your mercy…Hear our prayers
• We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Iran, Iraq and Syria. Lord, in your mercy..